Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Favorite Fall Meal - Dinner Edition

Hump Day!!!! Oh Yes!!!

I really feel like its my Friday Eve because tomorrow is my Friday!!! I am taking the day off on Friday so tomorrow is my Friday. :)

I'm back today for my favorite Fall dinner meal. When I started to think about what recipe I wanted to share I immediately thought of my favorite favorite favorite meal when its cold outside...

My Mama's Chili.


As many times as I've made it already this Fall, I couldn't find a picture of it. I just made it Saturday night for my family and forgot to snap a picture! My sister Anna sent us this picture the other night when she made it so this will have to do! Clearly, its a family favorite if we send pictures of mom's chili to each other! ;)

There is literally nothing better. It makes me think of the home I grew up in. It makes me think of Halloween (my mom always made it Halloween night). It makes me think of a fire in the fireplace and my family in the living room. It makes me think of cold nights and my childhood.

I am hoping my mom won't mind me sharing her recipe. ;) If my memory serves me correctly, she recently told me she got it from a coworker many years ago when they had just moved from Birmingham to Atlanta.

It is seriously good. I never order chili anywhere because no bowl of chili can compare to my mama's!

Here is the recipe (there are a lot of ingredients but the end product is SO WORTH IT!!!):

Ingredients:

1 onion - chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 lb ground beef (chuck)
1 lb sausage
2 TBSP flour
2 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
salt to taste (we use about 2 tsp)
dash of pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1 16oz can of diced tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato sauce
2-3 cups of hot water
1 16oz pork n beans (or pinto or kidney beans -- we use pork n beans)

Directions:

Brown ground chuck and sausage with chopped onion. Drain and add all ingredients EXCEPT beans. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add beans and cook another 30 minutes with lid on.

ENJOY! :)

We eat it with grated cheddar cheese and saltines.

You can also freeze it!

If anyone tries it I would love to hear if you enjoyed it!!

What is your favorite fall meal for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment