Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Favorite Fall Meal - Dessert Edition

Well, I almost made it last week didn't I? Hey, 3 post in one week - I was on a roll. It was bound to go downhill after that..ha!!!

Today is all about my favorite Fall dessert!!! We will pretend I posted it last week like I was supposed to.

So this describes my thoughts about dessert pretty well...

 
 
And yes, that is hanging proudly in my kitchen.
 
Everything in moderation people.

When I was thinking about what recipe I wanted to share for my favorite Fall dessert, my mind immediately went to my friend Rachel's pumpkin bars. I'm sure she got the recipe from someone else or a cookbook but around here, they are hers because I got the recipe from her. :)

For my birthday last year, she gave me a complete recipe book FULL of ALL of her recipes and this one was included. It was such a sweet gesture and I will forever be grateful to her!

I have made these pumpkin bars SEVERAL times over last Fall and this Fall and they are such a hit. I made them a few weeks ago and had plans to give them to my neighbors but because of getting home late, rain, etc...Ty and I ended up keeping that batch and I had plans to bring some to a few coworkers but when I went to get them that morning to bring to school, this is what I saw...

 
 
Ty Latham had finished them off before I got to give some away to my coworkers. ha! That's how much we like them. :)
 
And no, I don't have a pretty picture of them right out of the oven, because I always forget to take one and they never last long, clearly.
 
Just trust me, they are amazing. divine. so yummy. delicious. etc. etc. etc.
 
Pumpkin Bars
 
Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour (I have also used whole wheat flour and they are still yummy!)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
4 eggs
1 16oz can of pumpkin puree
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup oil (I have always used vegetable oil in this recipe)
1 tsp salt
 
Directions:
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
In a mixer, beat together eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and oil.
Add flour mixture & beat well.
Spread in ungreased baking pan. (I think mine is a 9x12. Obviously if you go smaller, they will be thick, if you go bigger, they will be thin. I think the 9x12 is a good size.)
Bake on 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. I always stick a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, they are done. :)
 
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 3oz softened cream cheese
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
 
In a mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla.
Gradually add sifted powdered sugar.
Beat until smooth.
Spread on cooled pumpkin bars, cut into bars & enjoy!!!
Side note: I recently made these for my bible study group and didn't have time to let them cool before I put the icing on so I poked holes in the warm pumpkin bars with a straw. Then I poured the frosting over the pumpkin bars and it seeped through the holes. Then I cut them like I normally do into bars. They were so good this way too! Hot out of the oven makes them melt in your mouth!
 
The cream cheese frosting really makes them so so so good. I cannot say enough good things about this dessert (or breakfast...yes I eat them for breakfast sometimes with my coffee). You just have to try them!!! I always bake them in a pan that has a top and just leave them out on the counter for a few days (covered) and they are good for 3-4 days.
 
Hope you have time to try these this holiday season! You won't regret it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment