Friday, March 11, 2016

Georgia Peach & Sweet Home Alabama

Happy Friday!!! Today I am linking up (a little late) with Andrea from Momfessionals to talk about hometowns! I thought I would do my hometown that I grew up in, and where we live now and plan to raise our family.

First up - the town I grew up in....Acworth, GA!




Acworth is a suburb of Atlanta, about 40 minutes north, up 75. We are the red star in the map above! I actually spent the first 9 years of my life living in  Marietta, before moving to Acworth when I was in the 4th grade. When we moved out to Acworth, there wasn't much around compared to now. It has grown SO much. Everytime I go back I feel like they have built another neighborhood or shopping center or restaurant!

The last time I saw the house I grew up in! My parents moved to Birmingham about a year and a half ago and it was super super bittersweet saying goodbye to this house
Acworth was a great place to grow up. It was close enough to Atlanta that we always had something fun to do in downtown (braves game, coke museum, GA aquarium, etc), yet far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

I attended Harrison High School, where I cheered all four years as well as cheered on an allstar team called Singray Allstars. That pretty much sums up my high school career. I don't remember studying much, but was very involved with cheerleading and our youth group at church!


The glory days!
Some fun things to do in and around Acworth include:

1. Kennesaw Mountain - hike, picnic, walk, etc. It's really gorgeous if you go around 9/11 because they cover it in American Flags. It will take your breath away!


2. Go see a Braves Game! They are actually about to move the Braves to Cobb County (the county Acworth is in) from downtown Atlanta. I am assuming the traffic is about to become a nightmare...yikes! But very exciting for Cobb County for sure!


3. Check out the World of Coke! This place is awesome! It is in downtown Atlanta and right beside the GA aquarium.

4. Go to the GA Aquarium! It's a wonderful aquarium & a family friendly place to go!

5. Go to the Marietta Square for shopping, food local restaurants, and ice cream!
There's a little train right in the middle of the square I remember playing on when I was little, our family's favorite Crepe restaurant is on the square, lots of people take prom and wedding pictures here, and we took our senior cheerleading pictures on the square! This place holds lots of special memories!

I loved growing up in Acworth - it was a wonderful, family friendly town that is very dear to my heart. So many memories! It is for sure weird going back now that my parents have moved over here to Birmingham. It still feels like home, but I don't have a "home" to go to now when I am there.

Ok, now onto my hometown now!

Ty and I bought a house this summer in his hometown of Trussville, AL. Trussville is a cute little town northeast of Birmingham. I fell in love with place when Ty & I started dating. I was familiar with the area because my parents grew up near Trussville. When we started talking about where we wanted to raise our family, it was kind of a no brainer. This little town already had my heart!



It has a cute little downtown area with old houses, gorgeous tree-lined streets, a grassy "mall" area where people play, picnic, bring their dogs, etc. (if you've been reading awhile, this is where Ty proposed to me!)!), and they also have a very charming Main Street. They are about to revamp our little downtown Main Street area, which is kind of sad because I love the old business buildings, but I think it will be great when they are done!

Some things to do in Birmingham:

1. See a Barons Game - we may not have a major league baseball team but the Barons bring quite the crowd! They are the White Sox AA team and Thirsty Thursdays are pretty popular around town during baseball season!


They even do Friday Night Fireworks that I must say are pretty impressive!



2. Oak Mountain State Park - hike, picnic

3. McWane Science Center - awesome place to take kids!

4. Eat your way through Birmingham

And there you have it! Love my hometowns!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment